Data security, starting with encryption and access management, is an important part of the mix. As data migrates away from the enterprise premises and to the cloud, network security is no longer sufficient to protect data. Financial services need new data security methods to protect precious data everywhere in today’s digital IT landscape.”
Rocheston Certified Red/Blue Penetration Tester – Fixing nuts and bolts of digital defense
Our journey through the age of digital information technology has been long enough to witness digitally transformative technologies like cloud, virtualization, IoT and Artificial Intelligence. Machine Language (ML) and AI have grown into greater dimensions empowering organizations into organizing and extracting the right information from huge digital databases, therefore, enabling better decision-making.
Plug the holes before the criminals seep through!
In a world, where Data is the new perimeter, large and small companies are grappling with the influx of Big Data, for safeguarding their information systems, detecting frauds and tightening their security controls.
Today, high-precision, automated pen testing tools and methodologies are effective only for the matured Pen testers. Commands can be executed when specific events are triggered.
The new breed of Pen testers rely on automating repeatable tasks to accomplish time-bound missions such as:
- Setting up an event-watcher
- Executing commands when an event is triggered
- Filtering and categorizing events from thousands of others in database
- Providing access to run applications on distant and more secured servers
- Executing scripts for automating Reconnaissance and Scanning processes
- Pen testers are the reliable men on the guard, watchful and defending internal security.
Another key finding from our research is that no organization is immune from data security threats, and in fact, we found that the most sophisticated organizations are more likely to indicate that they have experienced a data security breach
Explore the Nextgen level Penetration Testing!
- Understand and simulate software-defined network architecture that centrally map out and control network pathways and devices.
- Analyze security framework based on the possible real-time attack scenarios.
- Scan multiple networks of thousands of machines for running programs to deploy specific operations.
- Work with all major computer operating systems like Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.
- Analyze various risks and types of attacks on database to select the best security controls and protection mechanisms.
- Learn about directory service to locate files and resources in a network.
- Learn to use active directory attack techniques along with Dumping memory.
- Learn about Powershell automated framework for deploying scripts for performing tasks.
- Learn authentication protocol Kerberos designed for communicating over a non-secure networks.
- Learn to access protocol Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
- Use Reconnaissance tool such as Powerview that works based on situational awareness.
- Create Docker environment and test with virtualization method in Pen testing lab.
- Learn about different software development methodologies for business environments.
What are the online cyber-crimes a pen tester should be aware of?
To conduct pen testing, you should walk in the shoes of a malicious hacker and delve into criminal activities such as:
- Denial of service attack
- Destruction or alteration of information, dumpster diving, espionage
- Fraud activities like phishing, cross-site scripting and redirection attacks that leads to theft of personal identifiable information
- Creation and distribution of malicious codes
- Software piracy and spoofing of IP addresses
- Theft of passwords, use of exploit scripts
- Intrusion into networks through communication technologies like VoIP and eavesdropping on wireless communications
Red Team and Blue Team
Similar to the military simulations where war techniques are tried and tested, companies adopt exercises to test the security of their systems too. A Red team tests the current security state of an organization while a Blue team becomes the internal security defender of an organization. Essentially, Red team has a greater responsibility of making the right judgement and finding the right discrepancy in the security system. It can detect risky vulnerabilities that are bound to be misused by hackers. The Red & Blue teams help security teams to toughen their defense against cyber criminals and hackers.
In order to secure their software, cloud services and customers’ data, Microsoft conducts routine penetration tests. The Microsoft Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) offers the toolkit for ensuring updated security and privacy considerations to efficiently counter cyber frauds.
Using the latest threat simulation Red & Blue Teaming strategies, Microsoft conducts pen tests on all its services provided.
Why Red team vs Blue team strategies are important?
Relying on tool-based assessments to tackle high-profile security breaches, is not a smart decision. A combination of both manual and tool-based testing is required to detect and fix unknown vulnerabilities without exposing sensitive assets. IBM’s X-Force Red Portal is one such platform that offers security management solutions for pen testing programs. The portal allows the clients to view the graph of risk reduction with time based on historical data stored. The testing can be easily extended for IoT and IIoT technology systems.
Red Teaming process helps to identify the company’s detection and response readiness. Vulnerabilities in hardware, software and other risk factors that could affect the organization can also be easily detected. Several companies including Microsoft, SAIC, and other governmental organizations regularly apply red teaming to safeguard their data.
Blue teaming is about securing and providing internal protection against external attacks. Information systems are analyzed to verify if there are security lapses and ensure efficacy of the protection measures taken based on the updated security trends.
Blue teaming is an effective counter to the red teaming measures. Regular countering leads to knowledge sharing and building up an effective database for future reference and continuous improvement.
Rocheston has always stressed on innovative approaches to any problem-solving. To tackle cyber threats and train cyber threat analysts, the Red/Blue Penetration testing services is designed such that threat analysts become “Asset-Protectors” by closing the intelligence gap occurring in any remote corner of the system. With this, the cyber threat analyst gets access to latest reports from experts in the field and share critical asset-protection information among peers. Most importantly, they learn know how to ‘make cyber threat intelligence actionable’.
What is the advantage of learning pen testing in our Pen-testing lab?
1. Learn the ways of hackers and the standards that pen testers should follow to discover and handle vulnerabilities:
Phase 1: Stage for Observation and information gathering
Passive Reconnaissance includes activities like acquiring information about target without interacting with it, while active reconnaissance is direct interaction with the target.
Phase 2: Identifying vulnerabilities
Scanning network, ports, host services and identifying vulnerabilities for drawing topology maps. Valuable information is extracted for identifying weakness in the target devices on one or more networks and for launching attacks on other targets. Open source scanners like Nmap, Port Authority, OpManager and so on are installed.
Phase 3: Planning and Installing tools
Vulnerability assessment tools that provide solutions are Comodo HackerProof, Tripwire IP360, Wireshark, Webshells, Nessus Professional, NetCat, OpenVAS, Nexpose Community, Nikto, Aircrack and so on.
Phase 4: Accessing and Exploiting target controls
It’s time to find out how devices can be accessed bypassing security controls for launching attacks. Such techniques will include cracking username and passwords and exploiting other vulnerabilities, using social engineering and so on.
Phase 5: Maintaining access
Once unauthorized access is made it is important to maintain it for some time until new vulnerabilities appear.
Phase 6: Manipulating data
The hacker maintains a secret hideout and avoids being traced.
2. Understanding 7 stages of Penetration Testing Execution Standard (PTES)
- Pre-engagement interactions between the pentester and the client company/organization requires certain management skills for understanding the needs of a situation and what solution can be delivered.
- Intelligence-led testing through cyber intelligence, open source, human intelligence, signal intelligence, imagery and geospatial intelligence providing greater competitive edge in Pen testing today. At this stage information is gathered about the organization, its system architecture, network, domain names, IP ranges, TCP/UDP services and so on.
- Threat modeling helps to identify threats against the infrastructure of an organization by identifying threats and assets.
- Vulnerability analysis is a critical skill that is enhanced through 6-phase vulnerability management life cycle.
- Exploitation of all the vulnerabilities at this stage helps to understand hacker’s perspective after a good threat analysis.
- Post-exploitation helps to simulate, advance, attack and maintain access through six sections.
- Reporting is about creating deliverable document about all discoveries and processes executed for safeguarding information security systems of an organization.
How Pen Testing has evolved and advanced with Artificial Intelligence?
As per the data formulated in the first quarter of the year 2018, cybersecurity breaches reported stood at a staggering number – 686 high-profile data breaches! Among them, about 40% of the incidents reported were related to unauthorized intrusion.
Injecting Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques in Pentesting makes the process simpler, easier to scale and time efficient. With AI aiding security pen testing arena, the pen testers must be well versed with automated security testing tools, comprehensive exploit libraries and be able to detect network and application vulnerabilities.
The gathering of threat intelligence is the first line of defence in the cyber security infrastructure, followed by the reactive security systems such as intrusion detection systems (IDSs) and mitigation techniques. AI-based pen testing enables organizations to gather pre-reconnaissance data that can be used in cyber threat intelligence gathering. The prominent AI-based pen testing tools are Pentoma and Wallarm.
Why companies prefer RCP Testers?Following the scare and damage caused by attacks such as WannaCry and NotPetya, etc, many companies have realized the efficacy of penetration tests. Skill in detecting anomalies in the automated reports generated, is an added advantage.
According to the Markets Research Firm analysis report, the penetration testing market size is estimated to reach USD 1,724.3 million by 2021, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 23.7%.
RCPTs are quick to evaluate the strength of the network security protocols, identify loopholes, gaps between any of the variety of security tools and perform a high-priority risk management. The key factors to be considered to evaluate the penetration testing resources/assets are:
Security expertise – minimize human error, generate reports faster and apply the highly reliable and cost-effective AI-based pen testing.
Confidentiality – ensure the pen tester is well briefed about the high stakes involved in dealing with the sensitive and proprietary company data
Extensibility – With AI-based pen testing, the processes have become faster and smarter. It is essential to keep pace with the latest security updates and improve the security status.
Which are the vital components of a Pen Test Report?
- An executive summary of the identified risks and their financial and other implications about the tested module
- The category of the vulnerability, severity and level of priority, and the CVSS Score (Common Vulnerability Scoring System) details
- Impact of potential attacks and threats
- Solutions and troubleshooting methods to fix the vulnerabilities
What are the responsibilities of a RC PenTester?
In the increasingly data-intensive complex IT environment, a pen tester’s task is not as easy as sending alert emails or installing anti malwares. These trained testers should have a good command over the cybersecurity toolkit and excellent skills in stress testing and be aware of changing system hacking techniques.
Global giants like Google, Netflix, Apple, Microsoft, etc, expect pen testers to streamline costs and efficiency by incorporating SSDLC and DevSecOps concepts in their cybersecurity strategies.
Which are the prominent companies hiring Pen Testers?
Companies across all industries are hiring Pen Testers for cybersecurity though the highest demand is from Information Technology and Services, Computer and Software applications, Web applications, Network services companies. Names of a few global companies looking for skilled penetration testers include:
- Lockheed Martin
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
What are the various positions open for a Pen Tester:
- Security Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Security Architect
- Security Administrator
- Security Specialist
- Security Consultant
- Security Auditor
What are the qualifications to become a RCPT?
To take up the RCPT course, the candidate must have completed RCCE® Level 1 training and must have adequate OS administration skills and network systems knowledge. Computer programming and analytical problem-solving skills are an added advantage.
Rocheston Certified PenTester Program highlights
The RCPT program stresses on research, live labs and interactive sessions on emerging security findings. The RCPT program offers scope for defining the information security requirements while finding options to enhance existing methodology assets.
As always, Rocheston is at the forefront in providing world-class cyber defense pen tester training to brave the storm of cybercrimes. The program includes the latest innovative hacking and intrusion techniques. Equipped with the most advanced Pen Testing Linux OS, the Rocheston Rose Calculus Edition offers more than 1 TB of hacking tools. With interactive sessions, this unique and innovative Pen Testing program equips the organizations and IT firms to beef up their network security strategies and secure their environment.
What is Rocheston Falcon?
It is an Advanced QEMU Virtual Machine Attack Platform used for Red Team / Blue Team Penetration Testing (RCPT) Exercises. Rocheston Falcon contains hundreds of virtual machines with sophisticated attack vectors to give students realistic industrial PenTest experience.
Note: We innovate every week to bring you the best RCCE® classroom experience. Hacking Reinvented. Like. No. Other.